How to Create the Perfect Bath Time Routine with Your Bub
Helping your little one get the rest they need each day isn’t always easy – in fact, it’s one of the things that keep almost every new parent up at night! Luckily, small changes can make a big difference. Here’s how to develop a bath time and bedtime routine that will help everyone wake up more refreshed each morning.
Why bath time routines work so well
We all thrive on routine, but babies respond even better than adults. Setting events out in a specific order and reinforcing this each day teaches your bub what to expect next and helps prepare them mentally and physically to go to sleep. If every night is different, then he or she will likely be more unsettled, find it difficult to settle down, and not understand what’s happening.
How to plan your bath time routine
Let’s start by saying that you’re probably not going to be able to do this routine every single night exactly the same way. After all, you’re a human being, not a robot – and life can get hectic! But the more often you do it, the better the results will be.
- Set a bedtime (usually between 6-7 pm).
- Prepare their bedroom an hour before this, clearing away toys, closing the curtains, and playing soft, relaxing music. Put out their pyjamas and nightwear.
- Run a warm bath and warm your bathroom if needed. Babies and toddlers lose heat quickly, so the room should be about 24-27 degrees and the bath around 36 degrees.
- Use gentle, natural baby products as these will soothe and nourish your little one’s skin, preventing irritation, sensitivity, and dryness that can keep them awake.
- Start by cleaning their face (as this is what most little ones like the least) and then make the rest of the bath as enjoyable as possible without being overstimulating. Behave positively and calmly, use gentle music, or chat to your bub, and use bath time toys to make it special.
- Don’t worry about cleaning every single inch of your little one. A gentle baby bath product and a sponge will clean away any stickiness and spills without irritating the skin or causing rashes.
- After drying off, go to the bedroom and turn on a soft nightlight that’s directed away from their cot or bed.
- Give your bub a gentle baby massage using a childcare moisturiser enriched with relaxing natural oils like lavender. Use firm but gentle strokes while telling them a story or singing gently. This is also great for bonding!
- Have the last feed, if needed, as quietly as possible, and leave the room.
Wherever possible, stick to the rules you make, as these create the structure and boundaries every little one needs to feel safe, secure, and relaxed.
Looking for Gentle, Nourishing Baby Bath Time Products?
Our baby bath products, which include a bath cleanser, shampoo, and moisturiser, are the perfect additions to your bub’s bedtime routine. Natural and made from pure, gentle ingredients like aloe vera, evening primrose oil, and lavender, our baby products are designed to relax and soothe your little one, leaving them freshly clean, moisturised, and ready for a good night’s rest.