When you’re expecting a new addition to the family, all the preparation you need to do can feel completely overwhelming! And while there are so many wonderful toys, outfits, gadgets, and more on the market, everyone needs the basics to be off to a good start. Luckily, we have a great checklist of all your newborn essentials to help make this process a little easier and to make sure you have everything you need at hand when your little one arrives.
Feeding time essentials
- Burp cloths and bibs
- Breast pump
- Milk storage containers
- Nursing pillow
- Breast pads and nursing bras
- A gentle, soothing organic cream for sore nipples
- 5-10 vests, undershirts, or onesies – buy a range of sizes as newborns grow so quickly!
- 5 swaddles or newborn sleep swaddle bags
- 5-10 pairs of stretchy leggings
- 5 warmer tops – cardigans or jackets are easier to put on and take off
- 1 sun hat
- 1 warm knit cap
- 1 – 2 special outfits
Newborn skin is very soft, sensitive, and delicate, so try to choose natural materials that are breathable (polyester, etc. can trap moisture and cause skin irritation), gentle to the touch, and with no extra embellishments that can scratch their skin.
We also recommend that you clean all clothing and linen with a natural laundry liquid. Most commercial laundry liquids have harsh chemicals and preservatives in them that leave residue even after linen has been rinsed, which can lead to skin irritation and respiratory issues in newborns. A natural laundry liquid is much gentler and contains no chemicals, additives, or toxins, so it cleans clothing and linen and leaves it fresh and residue-free. It also prevents natural fibres from becoming hard and scratchy.
Bath time essentials
- Fragrance-free bath wash – Fragrance-free, certified organic bath wash will help soothe and nourish newborn skin without drying it or causing irritation. It’s also recommended if your bub has skin issues including cradle cap, eczema, or dermatitis. We have some great tips on how to bathe your baby here.
- Fragrance-free shampoo – Perfect for cleaning your bub’s hair, with gentle cleaning power and natural, pure essential oils.
- Fragrance-free moisturiser – A pure, natural moisturiser will help keep your bub’s skin soft and healthy. It’s the perfect way to end a bath and a great baby massage product too. You can learn how to massage your bub here.
- A soft, clean cotton cloth and towel
- Baby bath seat
- Changing table and changing pad – We also recommend several hand towels so that you can drape the changing pad and easily clean up any messes. Here are some great nappy changing tips for new mums and dads.
- Diapers – We recommend eco diapers or cloth diapers, as these are eco-friendly and biodegradable (preventing hundreds of tons of nappies from ending up in landfills) as well as being comfortable for your bub!
- Wipes – Stock up on lots of biodegradable wipes for your little one, as you’ll be using them at feeding times, on visits, and throughout the day.
- Diaper cream – Diaper rash is a common issue for babies, even with the softest, gentlest nappies. We recommend a fragrance-free, natural moisturiser to soothe and protect sensitive skin.
Let KidsBliss start your parenting journey on the right foot!
At KidsBliss, we specialise in high quality, natural home care, skincare, and baby care products that help keep your bub, home, and family safe and nourished. Not only are our moisturises and washes organic and natural, but they’re also vegan, chemical-free, and fully biodegradable – making them safe for you, your bub, and the planet. Try out the goodness of nature to help your body stay healthy and nourished through your pregnancy and beyond.